Whether you are searching for a new job because you are miserable with your current job or you want to explore new jobs opportunities that sound interesting, it still isn’t easy. It can get very overwhelming and downright stressful, so you want to take things slowly and not rush yourself. I suggest making a list of the jobs and companies you have interest in. I find it easier when I have a check list because it keeps everything organized and makes it easier to remember which positions you applied for. In this post I am going to share a few strategies for searching for a new job that might be helpful for you!
- Online job search:
This will allow you to search on your own time and in the comfort of your home. Typing keywords or positions into your search engine provides you with positions that fall within the area you desire. The most common job search websites are: Indeed, ZipRecruiter, LinkendIn and Glassdoor. It is very important to have an updated resume to submit and a cover letter that is directed to the position you are applying for.
- Network & Referrals:
There are times when a company chooses to not post some positions, but instead asks their current employees for referrals. I honestly do not know why companies try this, but my guess would be it is because they trust their current employees and current employees know the personality type that would blend well with the company. At the same time, this could be a little unfair to applicants because they may be new to the area or they do not many people. This is just my personal opinion, but it kind of proves that in corporate America it isn’t what you know, it’s who you know. Candidates that might be may get turned down, even though they are very knowledgeable just because they do not know the right people and that is aggrieving.
3. Job Fairs:
Many companies partake in job fairs to find the best prospective employees. When a company has plans to attend a job fair, they will advertise the event locally to reach as many job seekers as they can. When going to a job fair make sure you have your most current resume with you and a cover letter customized to the position/positions you are applying for.
To stand out even more than other applicants, you could create your own business cards. The important information you should include on your business cards are:
- Full legal name
- Phone number
- Email address
- LinkedIn site information
Other important information you should know when attending a job fair is:
- Wear your “Power Outfit” that not only shows professionalism, but will add to your confidence.
- Create a list of questions to ask the recruiter. Preparing your list of questions will show how deep your interests are for the position. When the recruiter or hiring manager sees that you took the time to write down you list of questions, it will increase your chances of being remembered over the other applicants.
- Practice your personal pitch several times prior to the job fair. This is your time to show your excellent communication skills and personality. It is important to make eye contact with the individual you meet with.
- ALWAYS send a thank you email to those you spoke with the same day. FOLLOW UP with the people you spoke with at the job fair three days after the event as well. This is an easy, direct, and personable email that can make a huge difference with getting an offer!
4. Company’s Website:
Take the time to make a list of companies you are interested in working for. Once you have completed your list of potential employers, visit the company’s website and search for open positions that only show on the company website. You can utilize the company’s website to identify contacts that might be beneficial to your needs. You might be able to find contacts that are in the same department as the position you want to apply for. Once you have useful names, email addresses, or phone numbers try to connect with these individuals.
5. Social Media Channels:
LinkedIn has become the social media site for professionals. LinkedIn can be used to connect with people all around the world that work for companies you wish to work for or just in the same type of work you are interested in.
Most companies also use this site to post available job openings. Individuals with experience may receive recruitment because a recruiter saw their resume and thinks they might be a good fit for a position available.
IMPORTANT TIPS when using social media platforms to find a job:
- Always use your real name
- Use only professional images
- Audit your accounts and remove any posts that may be viewed as inappropriate or unprofessional
- Delete profiles on websites you are no longer using
- Brand yourself and be consistent on all platforms
- Include who you are, what you do, and what your career plans on for the future
Finding your dream job or at least a job you will enjoy can be very challenging and extremely frustrating. At the same time it is important to stay persistent and positive. I say this because it is easy to get discouraged when you are not getting the responses you want. You might need to get a little creative with the search and use a variety of ways. For instances, you could use an online search engines with networking and the company’s website for the perfect combination. You could actually combine all of the strategies I shared together and it might work for you.
Thank you for stopping by my site today! I hope you found this post useful and it will help you if you are searching for a job. I have been on several interviews and it is exhausting, but it takes effort for change to happen. I do look forward to reading your thoughts on this and if you have any other ways to search for a new job. Please never forget that I am always sending y’all LOTS of love , comfort, and many positive vibes!