Recently, I have been asking myself what the meaning of life is. To get a little clarity, I decided it might be helpful to look into this a little more. According to Webster’s Dictionary, the meaning of life is to fulfill your purpose in life and accomplish your goals. This definition, of course, created another question for me. First, what is our purpose in life and how do we know what that purpose is? The meaning behind the purpose of life consists of the main motivating factors we feel. Our purpose for living can influence the decision we make, direct our mannerisms, help our goals, provides a sense of direction, and offer us meaning in life. In this post, I am going to share with y’all the information I have discovered and hope it will be beneficial to you!
The purpose of life will be different and unique for everyone. Figuring out what our purpose in life might be challenging and it can shift throughout life as we change and grow. Our purpose isn’t something we can just make up because it is already embedded into our being. This purpose is about accepting and acknowledging our gifts, but also utilizing those gifts by sharing them with the world.
Even though our purpose in life may evolve from new possibilities, which might be exciting. This can prompt physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual transitions; we need to not allow chaos to consume our minds. During times of transition, it is common to have questions surrounding our purpose. The changes that come with a transition can make parts of life challenging and even create additional stress factors, but we must stay focused on our lives. The following are some questions you might have when you reflect on your purpose:
- Who am I?
- Where do I belong?
- When do I feel fulfilled?
For some people, their purpose in life is obvious and clear from a young age. These individuals are born with a natural talent and or their drive for their passion burns bright and strong. However, others do not find it as easy to determine what they are truly passionate about. For these people, it may take them diving deep into their hearts, souls, and thoughts to discover what they have a passion for. This isn’t something that can not be rushed and it is okay for it to take time. Please just make yourself a promise that you will never give up this search because you will get there!
Unfortunately, there are people who thought they had a handle on what their purpose was and then lost about everything, leaving them to start over again. When being forced to re-evaluate what your purpose in life is can be a scary thing to face, but might be a perfect time to get things on the right path.
The search for our purpose in life is not easy and can even take years to discover. You may have already determined what your purpose is, which I do find admirable. I am of course curious what you found your purpose to be and how you made this decision.
It is understandable if you are still searching for your purpose, this is something that can’t be rushed and diving deep into exploration could be beneficial for our own success. The journey in the search for our purpose in life might seem complicated, but it can be a wonderful adventure as well. Whether you are starting fresh or starting over again to find your purpose, I plan to take the journey with you, using the tips I am sharing today!
- Review the things you love to do and that comes easy to you. Even these talents take work, but it isn’t forced or even dreaded. Now, think about your favorite band. Your favorite band still practices even though they know all their music, so why wouldn’t we have to do the same?
- What are the qualities you enjoy being able to express? Once you know what these qualities are, think about the ways you enjoy expressing these qualities. I know y’all have many wonderful qualities!!
- This might be challenging, so please take your time. Develop a life purpose statement and a description of what the world would look like if it were running perfectly according to you. Now, combine these into one sentence and this will give you your purpose.
- Follow what your heart is telling you. In a sense, we all have an inner GPS that provides us direction. First, figure out where you are currently. Second, determine where you are going. All you have to do next is follow the instructions your heart gives you to reach your next destination.
You must be aware of where you want to go and stay focused on the vision you established through something like meditation. The steps required to arrive at the destination you are met to be at, will guide your way, create new ideas, and offer additional opportunities.
- Be clear about what you want out of life and stay focused on this. Believe it or not, we are all born with internal guidance that will tell us when we are on or not on the right path. Take as much time as you need because this isn’t something that should be rushed.
Consider where you are currently in life and where it is you want to be, do they align with each other? Now be completely honest with yourself and answer the following questions:
- What is your current financial status?
- Are you anywhere near where you want to be?
- How are your relationships going?
- How is your health, physically and mentally?
Now, change your thought process and answer the next questions as if your life was going perfectly.
- What does this life look like?
- What kind of job would you have?
- Where would you be living?
- How is your health?
By answering questions like these multiple times, you can send powerful triggers to your subconscious mind that can assist you with getting where you want to be in life.
- I am going to share a link for a passion test with you that was developed by Chris and Janet Attwood https://thepassiontest.com/. You can try this, but no pressure at all. I thought it was pretty interesting, which is why I had to share the link!
Another interesting exercise you can try is to fill in the blanks to the following statement 10-15 times, “When my life is ideal, I am…. The only thing is you need to choose a verb when doing this and of course change it up some with each response. There is no right or wrong response; this is just meant to be a full way to determine your passions. After you complete this 10-15 times, identify what your top 5 statements are and create markers for each statement between 1 and 5. This will enable you to look at your life and decide if you are living your passion or not.
Once you know what your passions are and how life will look when living those passions, you will be able to develop a plan to turn your dreams into your reality!
- Look back on your life when you experienced the most profound joys in your life. This method can also be utilized to determine your purpose in life. Take no more than 30 minutes to make this list and see what the common pattern is between the joys you had. The feeling of joy is part of that internal guidance system I mentioned earlier and will let you know if you are on the right path in life.
- Try this next exercise with establishing your purpose. Answer the following question 3-5 times and then review your answers to see what was common within them. “When have I felt most fulfilled?” Please remember that there is no rush answering this question and take your time.
- Figure out how to align your life’s purpose and passions. Once we understand what our purpose in life is everything we do moving forward should be organized around that purpose. Our purpose does need to be flexible with our personal goals, but it is critical to our professional goals. If you dread Monday and just keep going to live for weekends, do not ignore the signs that your career isn’t right for you. Follow the signs your heart is trying to lead you towards and pursue the work you are longing for.
- You probably have additional clarity regarding your purpose by now. Little by little lean on your purpose and pay very close attention to the feedback you hear from others. The feedback you receive and how you are feeling about life will drastically improve!
As you continue on the path of the purpose you discover, try to keep asking yourself the following questions. These questions will help you know that you are staying on the best path for your life and keep going in the right direction.
- Are you where you want to be?
- Have you accomplished all you thought you would by now?
- Are you enjoying the lifestyle, travel, weekends, and leisure pursuits you always dreamed of?
- Do you want a more fulfilling career?
- Could your relationships be deeper, more rewarding, and more meaningful?
Once you have discovered your purpose, remember to continue to recognize, accept, and respect those purposes!
I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful in your life. We all know how difficult and outright painful life can be, so it is best to simply it as much as we can. I am really looking forward to your comments on this post and I do promise to respond as quickly as I can. Please never forget that I am always sending y’all LOTS of love , comfort, and many positive vibes!