It can be so difficult for any of us to find the right diet for any condition we may live with, but it is important to at least try! Diets may contribute a great deal too how our bodies react to the foods we east, so it is best to do all we can to combat any issues!
A common medication used to treat Parkinson’s disease is Levodopa. Levodopa is a protein building block, so it competes for absorption with other proteins. Protein enriched meals reduces the effectiveness of absorbing Levodopa, so it is better to save meat, fish and cheese for dinner time. It is important to take this medication on an empty stomach with 4-5 oz. of water and at least 30 minutes prior to a meal, as this allows the drug to make it to the small intestines and be absorbed faster. However, a carbohydrate snack like crackers, toast or oatmeal can help prevent any nausea the medicine might cause. Iron supplements can decrease absorption of Levodopa, so should be taken separate from medications by at least two hours.
What is the best diet plan for someone with Parkinson’s? Isn’t that the question we all want to know for all illnesses? There really is not a specific diet for those living with Parkinson’s, but a well-balanced and nutritious diet can be very beneficial. A proper diet for anyone will allow our bodies to work more effectively and give us more energy, but a proper diet for those with Parkinson’s can allow their medication to work properly. I have found some good tips that may be helpful:
- Eat a variety of foods from each good category
- Maintain healthy weight through a proper balance of diet and exercise. Discovering an exercise regimen that is well tolerated can be difficult, but starting off slow is the best way to start.
- High-fiber foods such as vegetables, cooked dried beans and peas, whole grain foods, bran, cereals, pasta, rice and fresh fruit.
- Low in saturated fat and cholesterol
- Limit sugar intake
- Moderate salt consumption
- Drink eight oz. glasses of water daily
Ways to control Nausea
- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks. Drinks containing sugar may calm stomachs better than other liquids
- Avoid orange and grapefruit juices because they are very acidic and that can worsen the nausea
- Drink beverages slowly
- Eat light, bland food such as saltines or plain bread
- Avoid fried, greasy or sweet foods
- Eat slowly
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day
- Do not mix hot and cold foods
- Eat foods that are either cold or room temperature to avoid any nausea from the smell of foods
- Rest after eating and keep head elevated
- If nausea occurs when first awaking in the morning, eat some crackers before getting out of bed or eat a high protein snack before going to bed (lean meat or cheese)
- If the techniques I have shared do not help the queasy stomach it may be a good idea to share this issue with your doctor and see if they have any other suggestions.
Foods that should be avoided:
- Cured, fermented or air-dried meats or fish
- Aged cheeses: Aged cheese, Swiss, Blue cheese and camembert
- Fermented cabbage: Sauerkraut and kimchi
- Soy Bean products which includes soy sauce
- Red Wine and Tap beer
After reading this please remember that I am not a medical professional, I am just wanting to learn as much as I can in order to help those are dealing with this illness. I want to be able to relay as much information to my step father to make his life a little easier as I possibly can! I want him to stay as healthy as possible for as long as he can and if there is something I can do to make this happen, I will!
Thank y’all for visiting my site today. I hope the information I have provided in this post is helpful to either yourself or someone who you know! Like I have said, I have done a lot of research through various web sites including: https://www.michaeljfox.org/understanding-parkinsons and https://www.medicinenet.com/parkinsons_disease_eating_right Of course there is a lot more information out there, but those two sites have given me a lot of knowledge. I hope y’all are enjoying your weekend and please know how much I appreciate all of your comments! I will respond to all comments as quickly as I can and please if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Anything I do not know the answers to, I will find answers! Sending y’all lots of love and comfort always!